Saturday, March 10, 2012

[Toldara] House Rules - Character Generation

After a long absence of too many years, I returned to role playing games with the release of D&D 3E.  One of the first things I did was start work on a campaign world, Toldara, for my own games.  With the release of 3.5, the rules bits of the setting had to be adjusted in a few areas.  Eventually, Pathfinder came out and I found myself tinkering with another 3.X iteration of the game.   

I enjoy playing the 3.X/Pathfinder versions of the game but I want less book keeping and rules referencing the older I get.  I have fiddled around with a few of the other games to see what they have to offer.  I like the idea of Microlite20 but I do want just a little more crunch than that; it is a great game regardless.  C&C may be "just right" but I need to purchase my own copy of the rules to make sure.  I have been looking at the retroclones to see which one catches my eye.  Of course, which ever game I decided on will include house rules and this is what I have decided on so far.   

Rules System
The Toldara campaign will be powered by the Basic Fantasy rules.  Following the link will take you to the downloads page that contains rules, supplements, adventures, and more.

Ability Score Generation
The generation of ability scores is done by rolling 9D6 and then splitting them up into sets of 3D6.  The three scores generated are then assigned to Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution.  Another 9D6 is rolled and then split up among Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma using the previous method.  After all of the scores are generated the racial modifiers are applied to the scores.  The rolls must be used on the abilities rolled for and can not be switched between groups.

Hit Points
All beginning first-level characters begin play with the maximum available hit points according to the appropriate hit die for the class and any modifiers gained from the Constitution score.

Races
All of the core Basic Fantasy races will be available for play plus the addition of the following:
  • The Gnome, Goblin, Half-Elf, Half-Orc (with appropriate changes), and Lizard Man (Slarn on Toldara) from the supplements on the download page. 
  • The AnshuKarnin, and Oranian races will need to be converted to the Basic Fantasy standard.
Classes
All of the core Basic Fantasy classes will be available for play plus the addition of the following:
  • The Assassin, Barbarian, Druid, Illusionist, Necromancer, Paladin, Ranger, Scout, and Sorcerer classes.


Of course, this is all a work in progress.  As play progresses, things may change further.



2 comments:

  1. Ripping it out!

    This is great stuff.

    I am not too hip on the fantasy genre (nor the Basic Fantasy system) - but I am looking forward to hearing more of Toldara.

    And that ability score generation rocks.

    May I ask, what is C&C - is that Castles & Crusades?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    I think you would dig Basic Fantasy. I get the Moldvay/Cook basic D&D vibe from it.

    Slowly but surely, there will be more of Toldara.

    In regards to the ability score generation, I was just trying for something that gives a little more freedom in assigning the scores.

    Yes, C&C is Castles & Crusades.

    ReplyDelete