Sunday, January 6, 2013

Book Vs. Movie?

Popular opinion holds that the book is usually much better than the movie based on the book.  I, like I am sure all of you, have heard that for years.  I can see the point and the appeal of that side of the argument.  This made me wonder - are there are any movies that are generally considered "better" than the book they are based on?
 
I am not talking about specific scenes or points in the work.  I can easily recognize the ending of the film version of Misery as superior to the novel.  In the novel, Paul Sheldon hallucinates that his captor is there in the room with him on the final pages.  In the movie, Paul Sheldon is eating with his agent and the waitress tell hims, "I'm your number one fan!".  You can see the look of dread on his face as he hears the same words that Annie said to him.  You can also see the anxiety as he wonders how many more times in his life he is going to have to listen to a fan utter those words. 
 
I know I gave an example of a better scene in a movie when compared with the same book.  If others want to point similar instances out that is fine.  What I really want to know is if there are movies based off of books that are generally held in higher regard than the book?  I do not care about the genre - I am just curious - so can anyone help me out?     

9 comments:

  1. Well there is Dungeons and Dragons. It seems better as a book than a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, very true. It would be a sign of the end times if anyone considered the movie better in this instance...lol.

      Delete
  2. It's been many years since I last read the book, but I think "The Princess Bride" may be one example. But then, the book was written by a writer who primarily makes his money writing movies, not novels, and then he wrote the screenplay adaptation himself. So he was able to condense all the good stuff in the book (except for the Zoo of Death) into a two hour movie that really feels solid. I might need to re-read the book before declaring the movie better, but I'd at least put book and movie on par in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. I have actually just seen bits and pieces of The Princess Bride. Somehow I just never got around to seeing it. I keep hearing gamer references to scenes in the film so I guess I need to see it.

      Delete
    2. Lord Gwydion is indeed correct with regard to "Princess Bride" the movie being better than the book.

      Delete
  3. Dr Strangelove is held in higher regard than the book it was based on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been forever since I saw the movie but I may need to see this one again. Thanks for the input. I was not aware of this one at all.

      Delete
  4. Although I tend to think that the book is better than the movie, The Wizard of Oz is remembered by most people for its film adaptation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...I always assumed that the books were pretty popular so the movie followed.

      Delete