Your character is made by following the steps of the character creation process. This process will provide you with the bare essentials of your character and that is perfectly fine for the type of players that like to develop their character through game play. There are players that like to use a different approach – they prefer to have a little more detail before play begins. For those players that desire more information the following topics are provided for inspiration.
The Five F’s
· Where are you from?
· Size of this place? (village, city, town, metropolis, etc.)
· Any particular mannerisms, customs, dress, traditions, accent?
· What did you do prior to becoming an adventurer?
· What is your motivation? (Personal, professional, hereditary, revenge, etc.)
· Are you still “welcome” in your home area?
· Are your parents living? (If not, what happened?)
· What is your relationship with your parents?
· Are you an only child or do you have siblings?
· What is your relationship with your siblings?
· Are your siblings still alive? (If not, what happened?)
· What is your position in the family? (eldest, youngest, rebel, loner, etc.)
· What is the social class of you and your family? (lower class, middle class, upper class.)
· Have you started your own family?
· Do you have any children?
· What is the current status of your relationship with your spouse?
· Are you religious?
· Which God(s) do you follow and revere?
· How does your faith influence your actions?
· How often do you participate? (Pray, attend temple services, etc.)
· Who are your friends?
· Are they recent acquaintances or did you grow up with them?
· Who is your best friend?
· How loyal are these friendships?
· Were any of the other player characters your friend before adventuring together?
· Have you made any enemies in life?
· If so, how did it happen?
The topics listed above are in no way considered complete or exhaustive. When we originally started working on the Toldara campaign world we wanted to include a section similar to this so we lifted it from another game. We did not bother coming up with something original at the time because it was just for personal use. Now that I am posting Toldara stuff to my blog I thought it would be more appropriate to come up with something original.