Friday, August 1, 2014

#RPGaDay Post 1

I ran across the idea for this blogfest at The Other Side and decided to participate because it seemed like a good way to back into the groove on posting since work has been keeping all of us so busy lately.   At least a few of these topics have been covered in previous posts but here it goes...

First RPG Played

Like many of the old time role-playing bloggers, the first game I played was Dungeons & Dragons.  I honestly can not remember if it was AD&D or one of the Basic D&D iterations.  I was in the second grade in the fall of 1980 so my memory is at least "a bit fuzzy" on the exact details.  I do remember several things about the event in exacting detail after all of these years.

I was "the new guy" in school that year having moved from the big city (Tulsa) to a small, rural town (Oologah) with my family during the summer break.  We lived just around the block from my uncle David and he would play a pivotal role in getting me started in the role-playing hobby soon after I was introduced to D&D.  This time period was when I met three friends - Dan Boston, Steve Johnson, and Jamie King - that would be involved in gaming for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Mine really was a mix of Basic and Advanced. I think that was pretty common back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From all of the blog reading I have done over the years it seems that playing a mix of Basic and Advanced was pretty common. I know for a fact that is how my group started and continued playing that way for some time. It wasn't until later that it "clicked" with some of the rules and we played much closer to Basic or Advanced with the rules as written.

      Delete