Monday, April 30, 2012

Z is for Zombie

**********Just for the sake of clarity - the theme for my A to Z posts is gaming with my friends in the 1980's.********

Z is for Zombie
Zombies are, of course, a well known and often used monster during encounters in D&D and other fantasy games.  Whenever Zombies are mentioned now I can not help but think of the one time that several of us played D&D with an older brother of one of the group members. 

The game session was a last minute pick up game because we could not get everyone together to play.  We sat down and started listening to his introduction to the session that included army consisting of "legions of undead" controlled by a necromancer.  I assumed that we would be encountering tons of skeletons, zombies, and other undead by the end of the session.  We got in a complete session and we discovered just how many zombies are in a legion.  I know the anticipation is killing everyone at this point! How many were there?

8...really?!?!?!?!

We made wise cracks about that for years. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant & a great end to the challenge :)
    I haven't played D&D in years. Just checked what you did for S as my most played game was SLA Industries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I never played SLA Industries - what can you tell me about it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'SLA Industries (pronounced "slay") is a role-playing game first published in 1993 by Nightfall Games in Glasgow, Scotland. The game is set in a dystopian far-flung future in which the majority of the known universe is either owned or indirectly controlled by the eponymous corporation "SLA Industries" and incorporates themes from the cyberpunk, horror and conspiracy genres.
    The game combined concepts inspired by a range of aesthetics and ideas with elements like song lyrics from David Bowie and the Industrial music scene, cyberpunk fiction (including Blade Runner and Max Headroom), anime / manga (including Akira, Appleseed, Bubblegum Crisis, and Trigun), and the growing cultural obsession with the media (including 24 hour news services and the Gladiator TV Show)' - courtesy of Wikipedia & much more succinct that I could've written.

    Love the game & consider myself very lucky to have met the writers & played with them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great run, Charlie; very well done.

    I've enjoyed your take on the A-Z jazz during the past month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eric. I appreciate it.

      It was a blast and I am already thinking of ideas for next year.

      Delete