Sunday, January 30, 2022
I don't have any gaming posts right now. I have been posting a large amount at the Ruins of Murkhill forums lately. I have read several books in the last month. Here's a quick look at what I have read and some quick impressions upon completing the books.
1. Dune Messiash by Frank Herbert
2. Morlock Night by K.W. Jeter
3. Foundation by Isaac Aasimov
4. Foundation & Empire by Isaac Aasimov (currently reading)
by Frank Herbert
by K.W. Jeter
by Isaac Aasimov
Saturday, January 1, 2022
In case you are interested, the World of Darkness documentary is free on tubi with commercial interruptions. Tubi is itself free as well. I watched it and noticed some interesting parallels with D&D.
1. Both games rose to wide popularity in a relatively short time.
2. Both games had to contend with the satanic panic or something similar.
3. Both games had a TV show; D&D had the Saturday morning cartoon while Vampire had the evening time slot.
4. Both games pushed out the original creative force(s) behind the game.
5. Both games had a new edition that was met with fan resistance or push back.
That is just off the top of my head. I am sure there might be even more. I would watch it again even though I never played Vampire or any of the WoD game lines. When I was stationed at Fort Campbell in 1993 - maybe 1994 even - Vampire and Werewolf were pretty popular in the barracks. I was still stuck on D&D in one form or another at that time.