Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy New Year!

It's a new year and I've been doing some reflection to see what I want to change in 2024.  I have a short list spread over several areas that I could explain in this post.  I'm not going to do that because it all boils down to just one change that will help me achieve the changes I want to make.  I am striving for a better work/life balance in 2024.  

I allowed work to become all-encompassing last year and this blog, my reading, and my creative endeavors suffered because of that decision.  Don't get me wrong, work is important and there will be times that I have to completely focus on it at that time but working 55 to 65 hours a week for months at a time will burn you out. 

Having the last three weeks off work recovering from having my gall bladder removed let that lesson really sink in.  I had planned to bring my laptop home and be available "just in case" but my backup told me to "...relax and not do that.  We got this while you're gone.  I can always ask one of the other guys for help if I need it.".  I did take my laptop home, but I didn't turn it on even just once.  I didn't receive any texts saying the plant had to close down and I didn't see any stories on the news about my absence causing undue hardships to production.  

The point? Take your time off and enjoy it.  You can't be replaced at home, you can and will be replaced at work. I hope everyone has a great year!  I'm looking forward to being more active. 

No comments:

Post a Comment