Thursday, April 19, 2012

Q is for Quest of the Ancients

***********Just for the sake of clarity - the theme for my A to Z postings is gaming in the 1980's with my friends.*************

Quest of the Ancients
 I am doing one more post about a game that our group never played.  It was not from a lack of interest or availability.  There were several times that I picked up the first edition rulebook at our local game store and wondered about buying the game.  In retrospect, I completely understand why none of us bought the rulebook.  We had a good variety of fantasy games to choose from in the various collections in the group.  I know that we had AD&D, D&D, Fantasy Hero, Palladium Fantasy, and Middle Earth Role Playing.  That is just from memory and I am sure that we had more.  Just like the Living Steel post, what is the point of a post about a game that was never played in my gaming group.  Quite honestly, sometimes I still wonder about this game after all of these years...
  • Does somebody reading this post own this game?
  • Is it worth picking up? 
  • Am I missing something out of the fantasy genre by not having this game?
  • Can anyone just give me an honest evaluation of this game?
 Thanks for any answers in advance.  I will definitely respond with other questions if somebody is willing to share their opinion...   

9 comments:

  1. I did QotA for last year's Q.
    http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/2011/04/q-is-for-quest-of-ancients.html

    I still own a copy. If you can find it cheap then go for it (there's a link on my blog for that too).

    Are you missing anything? No. Not really.
    This game has charm, but also a number of of flaws. It is in my opinion the best example of a Fantasy Heartbreaker. It is really just a bunch of house-ruled AD&D with some funky combat.

    Get it if you must have every fantasy game from the time or are really into d30 resolution tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the honest reply. I may see if I can get it on the cheap.

      Delete
  2. Hi Charlie,

    Thanks for stopping by Shatterworld and the kind words!

    I never played or owned QotA. I used to work for ICE, so I owned Rolemaster. We never used the system, but did use Arms Law as our D&D combat. I now use my own combat system inspired by Arms Law, but simplified.

    Other games I own but never played:

    MERP
    Rune Quest
    The Morrow Project
    Pendragon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome!

      Worked for ICE? Cool! What did you do there?

      I am intrigued by the mention of your own combat system.

      I owned but never played Rune Quest and Pendragon also.

      Delete
  3. I own the game and, for the most part, I concur with Brannan's opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool. Is there anything that you differ from Brannan's opinion concerning the game?

      Delete
  4. Hey Charlie, I already put up my "R" post... Role Playing Games

    http://mainstreetarts.blogspot.com/2012/04/role-playing-games.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charile,

    I replied to your comment on my Role Playing Games post with two links to my combat system, and converting from d20

    http://mainstreetarts.blogspot.com/2012/04/role-playing-games.html

    -Arthur

    ReplyDelete