Saturday, February 1, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge Day 1

This post is part of a series of posts in the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge.  The information in many of these posts is related to events that occurred primarily in the1980’s. Since it is now 2014, I can not guarantee complete accuracy with such a large passage of time but I will present the events and information as best as I can recall.
 
Day 1: First person who introduced you to D&D. Which edition? Your first character?


If you have read the About Me area of my blog then you know I give a lot of credit to my uncle David for jump-starting my journey into the role-playing hobby by passing down his various A/D&D material to me.  Specifically, I received the AD&D Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual, and Deities & Demi-Gods (with the Cthulhu & Melnibonean information even), and a Holmes Basic.  The funny thing about this is that I thought I was introducing him to the hobby after hearing about it from a friend of mine only to find out that David had been playing since the original set.

The person that introduced me to D&D was a friend of mine named Dan Boston.  We met in the second grade after my family moved from Tulsa to the very rural Oologah.  Dan and I were in the same second grade class and we were the odd ones out because we were in to stuff like comic books, fantasy movies, B movies on cable, and other stuff that did not line up with the “typical interests” at that time; there was a third member to our group – Jamie King – but I can not recall whether or not we were all in the same second grade class.  I have a strong suspicion that we were but that has honestly been lost to the passage of time.

In short, Dan had three older brothers that were all gamers of various sorts.  They introduced him to the game.  Dan and I met because I brought some super hero comic books for the reading table at school and he picked one up.  We started talking and hanging out from then on.  Eventually, fantasy stuff was brought up and he told Jamie and me all about this great game called Dungeons & Dragons.  Of course, we both wound up playing at his house some time and would continue on for years to come. 

I am not 100% sure of which edition I played at Dan’s house.  I believe it was probably AD&D because I know there was some sort of feeling about “Basic is the kid’s version” nonsense going on.  Sure, it made sense at the time but not at all now.  Plus, I remember his brother Steve talking up his own homebrew game – top secret information – that was “way better than D&D” but I could not see any of the material because it might somehow get leaked and someone else could beat them to the stores!  I actually did get to play “the game that must not be mentioned so no one can steal the name” years later and it was fun and the world was definitely more flavorful offerings with an insect-like humanoid race and a very interesting campaign world; a heavy influence from stuff like Arduin.  By the way, I was even told the actual name of the game – Dragon Stalkers – but I still have yet to see it in the stores from them or “someone else”.

I do not remember anything about my first character but I am highly confident it was one of the fighter type classes.  I understand the appeal of the magic-users and the others but I always wanted to play the warrior.  I was reading Conan books, watching the He-Man cartoon, repeatedly borrowing the Excalibur movie from my uncle, and interested in much more stuff that seemed to have a warrior type for the lead.  I can not recall the exact details but I know for a fact that D&D was like no other game I had ever played and I would continue to play pretty solidly for the next decade. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment