Friday, February 7, 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge Day 7

This post is part of a series of posts in the D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge.  The information in many of these posts is related to events that occurred primarily in the1980’s. Since it is now 2014, I can not guarantee complete accuracy with such a large passage of time but I will present the events and information as best as I can recall.

Day 7: First D&D product you ever bought.  Do you still have it?


The first D&D product I bought with my own money was probably the Moldvay Basic boxed set or the Monster Manual II.  It seemed like the most popular gift I received at birthdays and Christmas was cash.  I was ruled “difficult to buy for” because I would put the stuff I actually wanted on my lists when they asked for a list of ideas.  I distinctly recall one relative proclaiming how confusing it was going into “that place” so cash would make a better gift.  The good news is that I could get exactly what I wanted.  The bad news is that I was too young to drive so I had to convince a parent to make the 35 mile trek.


I do not still have the Monster Manual II.  It did not get near as much use as the original Monster Manual in our gaming group.  I do not remember being that impressed with the creatures inside.  I do still have the Moldvay Basic and the matching Expert rules also.  The B/X rules are my favorite presentation of the D&D system and I wish there would have been an official Companion set along with an eventual all-in-one Rules Cyclopedia type manual for that edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment