Monday, February 1, 2021

Miniatures I Have Painted

I have only been painting miniatures for a few months.  I never bothered with it back in the day because I believed I would not be able to paint "good".  Fast forward years later and I have a teenage son who has become interested in Warhammer: Age of Sigmar and Warhammer 40,000.  I agreed to buy a small Games Workshop novice set for Warhammer: Age of Sigmar to serve as a test run. If we were satisfied with the results and game play then we would continue.  The Stormcast Eternals pictured below are the first seven miniatures I painted.  


I was pleasantly surprised that I was satisfied with the results.  I realize the paint job is not something that is going to get me commission work or anything like that but that was not my goal.  I simply wanted the figures to be a reasonable representation of the character without looking like a sloppy mess.  I think I achieved that and I found painting to be extremely relaxing. I picked up some Reaper Bones miniatures to paint for a future roleplaying campaign. I began with typical minis like orcs, goblins, kobolds, and player character classes.  Here are two examples below.


 3 Orc Spearmen

 Player Character (Human Fighter or Paladin)

I stress again that my miniatures are for in-game use only and not for competitive painting at all. I am just displaying them here because I was surprised at how satisfied I was with the results. I have discovered that I enjoy painting them and I can see where I have shown improvement even so I will continue. I am still experimenting with paint.  I have used Citaldel, Reaper, The Army Painter, and Vallejo; I have not decided on a favorite. 

Do you use or paint miniatures? What are some of your favorites?



1 comment:

  1. I paint and play with miniatures (though alas we haven't had a 40k battle for quite a time now, as our dining room table is buried under a mound of projects, and that is our playing surface). I used to love painting, when I first got into 40k in (I think) 2005. Now, I view painting as a slightly annoying task that nonetheless has its fun side. The fun side mainly comes in when you look at your painted army, all set up and ready to go in their deployment zone. Very satisfying.
    Your minis look good enough to play with, and that is really the goal. And you'll get better as you paint more. Do you follow any of the painting tip YouTube things? I think (though I haven't watched them myself) that the Games Workshop YouTube channel (which I assume still exists) has tutorials.
    I have used Citadel paints, but recently I, too, have used Army Painter. To be perfectly and embarrassingly candid, I find the "new" (new to me; probably everyone else is used to them by now) Citadel paints to be too confusingly specialized. I liked them a lot when they just sold you paint colors and inks (I loved their old inks). Now, I'm never sure what to buy, and I don't like planning ahead to the extent of making a shopping list ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete