Monday, March 3, 2014

March Madness Obscure Game Blogging Challenge Part Three

March Madness Obscure Game Blogging Challenge Part Three

9. What superhero RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?

I am going with a wishy-washy answer on this one and claiming a tie between the Marvel Super Heroes and Villains & Vigilantes superhero RPGs. The old school design of V&V held a lot of the appeal for our group.  It was also the first superhero game we tried and continued playing on a regular basis.  We really got into the character and world background aspect of the game.  We had several interconnected characters, organizations, an ongoing history, and we even created our own books of villains similar to the old Enemies books for Champions.  The Marvel game was great for some of the same reasons.  The main attraction was being able to compare and contrast our heroes with the official stats of Marvel Comics characters.  We did not go all out with the campaign information for our Marvel games but we did actually use those rules for running a G.I. Joe campaign and also a Transformers campaign.  If I am ever able to find all of my old V&V and Marvel game folders I will have plenty of cool stuff to post…     

10. What science fiction RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.

I have owned a few science fiction RPGs but I never have played any of them more than once or twice.  Most of my straight up science fiction gaming has been done with a board game or a PC game.  I really have not had enough science fiction RPG experience to give a meaningful answer to this question.

11. What post-apocalyptic RPG have you enjoyed most? Why?

I am a big fan of Gamma World over several of the editions but I could never get a long-lasting campaign with any of the first three editions.  The post-apocalyptic RPG that I have enjoyed the most would have to be RIFTS from Palladium Books.  I just remember how cool I thought everything was when I flipped through the manual for the first time.  It felt like stuff sprung off of the page – Cyber Knights, Juicers, Crazies, the Coalition States, ley lines, the Xiticix, and more - and jump started my imagination.  I immediately related this world to playing in something similar to the world of Thundarr the Barbarian from the Saturday morning block of cartoons I used to watch.  In short, I felt like RIFTS took all of the promises of Gamma World and fulfilled them when we played.

12. What humorous RPG have you enjoyed most? Give details.


I have played more gaming sessions of humorous RPG systems than I have of science fiction RPGs so I can give a definite answer to this question.  I enjoyed the one or two sessions of Teenagers from Outer Space that I ran for a group of friends but it is not my favorite humorous system.  One of my buddies, Justin, ran a great game of Paranoia that I enjoyed more than any other humorous RPG.  There were plenty of clones sent in to replace the original characters - I'm sure that is normal - that always seemed to die under the goofiest of circumstances. Typically, one or more of the player characters would take out one of the others or doom the entire group by upsetting the Computer or someone of a higher rank.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment