Tuesday, March 16, 2021

The Search is Over...

The house hunt is coming to a close much sooner than I expected.  I was about to give up for the time being.  Every time I found something I liked the property would become "pending" between the time I contacted my agent and before she could schedule a tour.  A new property became available and it appeared to be the perfect match for the two of us. I viewed the property and made an offer.  The owner accepted my offer and the contract has been signed by all parties.  I am just waiting on inspections and other final minutia at this point.  Woohoo!

I feel like I have made a pretty big accomplishment but I am also quite a bit shocked.  I never expected to be a home owner.  I grew up in a household that had material things but the living conditions were not always the best.  My mother - NO, she was not a single mom doing the best she could - was absolutely horrible at finances.  She was a hoarder, lived by the "I have checks so I have money" philosophy, and was just completely fiscally irresponsible.  My step-dad made pretty good money and we should have lived in better housing.  Make no mistake.  I am not saying we should have lived in the Taj Mahal.  I am just saying that things would have been much better if she would have been a good steward on the finances.  The few times we did move into a house we would up moving back out later because of her actions.  Like most things, the lessons begin at home.  If you are not teaching financial responsibility to your children it will be harder to learn it later in life.  It will turn into a cycle that gets harder and harder to break the longer it continues  

This is NOT a rant against single parents or two parent households that ARE doing the best they can. That is all any of us can do. Circumstances do matter.  Maybe somebody got laid off?  Maybe there was a health crisis? Maybe there was one of any assorted issues. This is about my mother and her self-inflicted issues. 



No comments:

Post a Comment