Monday, August 25, 2014

#RPGaDay Post 25

I ran across the idea for this blogfest at The Other Side and decided to participate because it seemed like a good way to get back into the groove on posting since work has been keeping all of us so busy lately.   At least a few of these topics have been covered in previous posts but here it goes...

Favorite RPG No One Else Wants To Play

I am a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction and gaming.  One of the first games I got into was the original Gamma World.  I was completely captivated by Cryptic Alliances, robots, mutant animals, and a world torn apart by devastation.  I tried some of the other versions but none of them clicked with me like the rules in the original game had years ago.  I would find a new post-apocalyptic game several years later.  

One weekend I went to visit my buddy Jamie in Tulsa.  He told me about a new game he had played a few nights ago with our mutual friend Travis; both of them thought I would like it.  Then he handed me the rule book for Rifts® and the cover image immediately caught my attention.   I remember thinking "what the hell is that thing?!" as I opened the book to take a look inside.

I noticed immediately that Rifts® was a Palladium Books® product and that sparked my interest even more because we were fans of The Palladium (Fantasy) Role-Playing Game® and their Robotech® game.  I started flipping through the pages looking at pictures, reading random bits, and really digging the color plates placed in several spots throughout the rule book.  Of course, we started rolling up some characters as soon as possible so we could start playing!  We played many sessions of Rifts® and had loads of fun playing as the Coalition, against the Coalition, fighting vampires, searching for Atlantis, and generally just raising hell in our game sessions.  

Unfortunately, I do not have a Rifts® game currently in progress or even one planned to start any time soon. There are definitely players around here because I have a FLGS that consistently has a dedicated area for Palladium products.  The biggest issue is most likely getting all of the schedules to line up.  The other obstacle seems to be they want to play something else - mostly D&D - first and then do a Rifts® game next.  Finally, I have tried to get a new player or two into the game but it always seems like they "heard the game doesn't work" or "it's too complicated" or something else.  Granted, Rifts® does have some legitimate issues and some areas that need some revision/attention to resolve.  If you can look past some of those issues or resolve them in your group there is a great setting with unlimited potential waiting for you.        

No comments:

Post a Comment