Sunday, August 3, 2014

#RPGaDay Post 3

I ran across the idea for this blogfest at The Other Side and decided to participate because it seemed like a good way to back into the groove on posting since work has been keeping all of us so busy lately.   At least a few of these topics have been covered in previous posts but here it goes... 

First RPG Purchased

My memory may be a bit fuzzy on some of the details from my past but I am 100% certain that the first role-playing game I purchased was the boxed Moldvay Basic set; the "B" in what is often referred to as the B/X D&D rules. I believe it was $12 at the time.  The orange box was a great find after inheriting all of my uncle David's old A/D&D materials and made it much easier to understand.  I know many people would recommend the Rules Cyclopedia iteration of the rules as their ultimate old school reference but I think the B/X rules are utter perfection.  The cover art really captures a sense of adventure, the fonts used inside are very appropriate to the feel, and the illustrations grab your attention.  The only thing that would be better is to to have an updated combined edit with all of the appropriate sections of both books woven together in a nice hardback.     

No comments:

Post a Comment