Sunday, January 1, 2023

D&D 50th Anniversary in 2024

Based on an idea originally proposed by The Perilous Dreamer in this post at his blog, I am committing to posting once a month every month in 2023 leading up to the 50th anniversary of Dungeons & Dragons.  Unless I missed something, Wizards has given no indication they will recognize, celebrate, or otherwise commemorate this event. I have some thoughts and ideas on the upcoming 50th anniversary and how to make it meaningful in one way or another.

On a personal level, if you're a fan of OD&D then I would like to echo the recommendations of others to have some sort of reunion game.  Some members of your old playing group still reside nearby? Send out an invitation to have a reunion session.  If you have a blog, you could post some memories of OD&D game sessions or post an old character or some homebrewed OD&D material.  There are a ton of possibilities.

When it comes to Wizards/Hasbro I have a simple idea - make OD&D and the supplements print on demand at DriveThruRPG; even if for a limited time.  I have the pdfs but I would buy pod just so I wouldn't have to print them out myself and assemble the books.  I know they did the wooden box reprint set but this would allow people that missed out on that to own physical copies as well.  That's not anything extravagant and it would be easy to do for the 50th anniversary.

What are your ideas for celebrating the 50th anniversary of D&D?





No comments:

Post a Comment