Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Dungeon23 Part 6: Merchant Row

I'm starting my #Dungeon23 posts back up, but I can't guarantee that I will be posting something related to it every day of 2023.  There are four main reasons for this decision.  First, I want to post about other topics than the #Dungeon23.  Second, I am treating my #Dungeon23 posts as an exercise in brainstorming a rough draft that will lead to an updated pdf compilation later. Third, I am most likely going to use statistics that are system agnostic or at least not tied to the OGL. Fourth, I accepted a new job at my employer, and I have no idea what the time commitment will be, so I need to maintain some sort of balance between all of my commitments.  With that being said, let's move on to the next #Dungeon23 post.

Remaining in the main square in the center of the City of Frane, travelers will notice there are tents, booths, and carts - represented by the colored triangles - arranged around the notice board.  This area has been known as Merchant Row ever since it began years ago as a single row of tents and carts in the main square. It became a popular place to offer your goods over the years due to the convenience of not having a full shop to maintain and the reasonable rate of renting a spot.  There is no upfront cost but any merchant wishing to sell on Merchant Row is required to file for a permit and agree to pay a fee equal to 10% of their profit at the end of their agreed rental period.  

The merchants that set up on Merchant Row are varied and there is no guarantee that the same merchants will be there day to day.  Some of the typical offerings include clothing, weaponry, a fortune teller, food vendors, and other offerings that come and go from time to time.  Merchant Row is typically a festive area as there may be games offered or a minstrel performing as well.  There is, however, a member of the city watch patrolling the area to check permits, look at bookkeeping from time to time, and settle any disputes that may arise. 

More to come...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment