Wednesday, April 14, 2021

[A to Z] Leprechaun


I should have seen LEPRECHAUN and the sequels before the last year or so.  I was a huge B-movie horror fan and I would watch them regardless of how corny they might sound.  Who am I kidding?  I still do that.  Anyway, I was in the Army when this movie first came out.  It should have been right up my alley.  The premise is pretty simple; after his gold is taken from him, the leprechaun resorts to whatever means he can to get it back.  

There have been eight entries into this series.  I own all of the movies on DVD because I found a bundle of the original 7 for $7.50 and Leprechaun Returns as a separate DVD for $9.99.  If that is not completely accurate then the prices were close to that.  At just over $2 a film I can not really complain two much but there are some questionable entries into the franchise.  That seems to be the way of things with horror.

I am not disappointed with having watched this entire film series.  I would like for them to be remade.  If the studio could provide a decent budget, play up the actual mythological aspects, and focus more on horror instead of the cornier side then they could be very good.  

5 comments:

  1. That is a young Jennifer Anniston! I know I saw this when it came out, but for the life of me I can't remember a lot of it.

    Maybe for the best right?

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side: 2021: The A to Z of Monsters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...right?! I guess if you are passing through the living room and it's already on give it a shot. Otherwise, you could probably go an entire lifetime without seeing this and be good. Besides, people gripe about horror franchises going into space but leprechaun went in;o the 'hood; twice even! smh

      Delete
  2. I've never seen any of these, but I've always felt a sort of interest in them. They sound... fun? Is that the word? Anyway, I've always wondered if I'd enjoy them or not. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh who knows? I think every 80s horror fan ought to give the original a viewing. Some of the others? Honestly, I never saw them until I got the DVD. My son, like me, is a completist. We tend to watch all of the movies in a franchise. I really think Leprechaun would best serve as inspiration for a modern remake.

      Delete
  3. I was working in a movie theater the summer the original Leprechaun hit the theaters. I had no idea who Anniston was at the time (she was a lot chubbier back then...). My opinion of this film isn’t high, but I watched it a couple-three times in a (mostly) empty theater, wearing my little vest and bow tie.

    That was a bad summer for movies in general (the “blockbuster” that year was Stallone’s Cliffhanger).

    ReplyDelete